GEDCOM-projektet hos Danske Slægtsforskere
bevar dine slægtsdata for eftertiden

Phoebe Harriet Bastian

Født 2 Jun 1883 Washington County, Utah, USA
Død 11 Sep 1935
2 Jun 1883
Washington County, Utah, USA
12 Sep 1858
Lehi, Utah, USA
14 Mar 1835
Sundbyvester, Tårnby Sogn, Sokkelund, København
4 Jun 1804
Sundbyvester, Tårnby Sogn, Sokkelund, København
2 Mar 1802
Sundbyvester, Tårnby Sogn, Sokkelund, København
30 Jul 1835
Lildfrost Mark, Bredsten Sogn, Tørrild, Vejle
8 Oct 1805
Ulderup, Give, Nørvang, Vejle
16 Feb 1811
Højen, Jerlev, Vejle
Familie med Frederick Elroy Brown
LaVor Brown 9 Jan 1906
Marion Alonzo Brown 16 Oct 1908
Marjorie Brown 27 Jun 1918
Fremon Antone Brown 27 Oct 1920
Donna Jane Brown 14 Dec 1924
Fødsel 2 Jun 1883 Washington County, Utah, USA
Vielse/Ægteskab 15 Mar 1905 the Manti Temple
Død 11 Sep 1935
Om Mormonerne i USAN ORDEN by Martha Van Orden Parks (
History of Phoebe Harriet Bastian Brown by her daughter Marjie Brown Erickson(
History of Phoebe Harriet Bastian Brown
Contributed By Debra Young · 3 august 2013 · 0 Comments
Written by her daughter Marjie Brown Erickson

My mother (Phoebe) was born in Washington County June 2, 1883 a daughter of Jacob S. Bastian and Harriet Ann Taylor Bastian. She was one of a family of 10, seven sisters and two brothers and herself.

My mother (Phoebe) was about four years old when she moved to Loa in the fall of 1887. It was so hot and dry down in Washington County that the people were having chills and fever. My grandmother (Harriet) was advised by her Dr. to go to a higher climate. The water was scarce so my grandfather (Jacob) was ready to move. Grandfather brought his horses and cattle, he was a lover of horses, and came to Loa. It took nine days to make the trip. They had the following children when they came to Loa, Annie, Jacob who died in Dixie, my mother Phoebe, Gertie and Jennie. After they came to Loa Trena, Melvina, Georgia, Antone, and Dora were born.

My Aunt Jennie tells of the time my grandfather bought a History of the Utah Pioneers. It cost $12.50 to buy the book so grandfather sold one steer and added 50 cents to buy this book.

When my mother (Phoebe) first came to Loa to live their home was on the farm that is now owned by Harold Johansen. Being early pioneers of Wayne County she would have to help grub the brush, herd the cattle and do other hard work as well as house work for other people. She had to work very hard. She would help her father with the farm work and go into peoples and work every time any one needed help. I am told that she was a good worker and worked very fast. She was as neat as a pin.
She had lots of boyfriends and always loved to dance. She was especially a good dancer and took prizes for waltzing. Many a night she would walk into town for a dance, and after the dance she would walk home, a distance of two miles. Many of her friends can remember the long black stockings that the girls all wore and when they found a hole in the leg of them they would black the hole with soot taken from the lid of the cook stove and my mother (Phoebe) was no different than the rest.

It was her and her sister Gertrude's job each morning before school to hitch one horse on a water sleigh with a tool bar and put two wooden barrels on the sleigh and go to Spring Creek and fill them for the family's use during the day. This was the family lived where Jay Hall now lives. Many a morning in the winter months when it was so cold their clothes would be frozen stiff from water spilling and splashing from the barrels.

Her father went on a mission to Denmark leaving November 24, 1894 and was gone three years. When her father went on a mission she with the help of her sisters Annie and Gertrude took care of the farm and stock in order to support the family and keep their father on a mission.
My mother use(d) to sing in the Choir and she would go along with Brother William C. Potter Sr. and Pauline Grover Brown to Blue Valley in a wagon to sing and play for conference. In later years Pauline Grover Brown was to be her mother-in-law as she married her son Fredrick Elroy Brown. They were married March 15, 1905 in the Manti Temple. He had served on a mission in Indiana prior to their marriage.

There was only one teacher, Sarah Ann Lazenby, in Loa when my mother went to school. She only went as far as the sixth grade as there were no grades higher in Loa at the time. They were not called graded at that time. The art class was the first grade, the second reader, and so on until the sixth reader. Aunt Jennie Mansfield tells me that the biggest tease in the whole school was Fred Webster. He use(d) to fight with the teacher, Sarah Ann Lazenby, and pull the girls hair. Fred Webster later turned out to be our Stake President.

My mother was a good singer. She sang in the Loa Choir. The seats were numbered and she had a seat with Rhoda Taylor and Flora Russell. She sang for almost all of the funerals.

When she started to go with my father, Aunt Jennie said you could tell right from the beginning that my father's intention toward my mother was serious. It was almost love from there first date. He would bring his white top buggy over to the farm and get my mother and take her to the dances and parties. After a year and a half of courtship they were married in the Manti Temple. They went in a white top buggy. My Aunt Jennie and Sister Sarah Robinson (wife of Willis E. Robison) went with them. Sister Robison had erisiplus so she went for a blessing and was much better when she went home.

My mother had a beautiful wedding dress made of white bridal satin. It was made by Pauline Brown, her mother-in-law and she was a beautiful bride. At this time in my grandfather's life he was considered quite well to do. As a gift he gave a cow and a mare. My father bought a beautiful new dark suit. They made a fine looking couple. Their wedding dance was held in the upstairs of the old brick hall that was owned by Lon Billings. It stood where the Utah Poultry now stands.

My father and mother lived in the old Bastian home where my mother was raised. Jay Hall now lives in this same house. They were a happy couple. My father always being very considerate of my mother. My father was always refined and cultured. It has been said that he never passed a lady on the street that he didn't raise his hat. He was a self made man and taught school, the first place being Notom, Utah also in the upper part of the county. Berta Okerlund Oldroyd said that he was one of the best teachers that she ever had. Aunt Arilla Brown Peterson (my father's sister) said he was gifted as an artist and made many beautiful paintings. He was also deputy sheriff. He was a fluent speaker, and was well read. He worked at the legislature in Salt Lake City and enjoyed it very much. He was a farmer. He was the first person to be operated on in the LDS Hospital for the outlet of the stomach to be changed from one side to the other. That was about 42 years ago and the operation was successful. My parents were kind and always tried to give us children everything they could.

My parents bought the Hotel from my Grandmother Brown (Pauline Grover Brown) the place where I now live. My mother run the hotel there for many years as well as take care of her children. She was noted for her very good cooking, especially her soup, apricot pie, and strawberry short cake. Carbine lights were installed in this hotel by our father. They were the first to have a radio with a battery and loud speaker in a cabinet set in the county. Ed Ellett of Fremont had the first set with battery and earphones.

Aunt Jennie Bastian Mansfield tells of mother (Phoebe) doing her relief Block teaching, carrying her babies, and also other church activities the Primary and Sunday School. Her father was in the bishopric for twelve years being ordained November 6, 1910. My mother's father Jacob S. Bastian supervised the building of the Johnson Valley Reservoir.

My mother was sick the last few days of her life with pre anemia and was in and out of the hospital for 10 years, but her children and her home was never neglected. It has been said that she was so neat and clean that she has even left her bed long enough to wipe off her floors and tidy up the house.

My father and mother were blessed with five children.

LaVor being the oldest born January 9, 1906 at Loa, Utah. He later married Mae(y) Taylor April 2, 1928 and is the father of seven children Owona, Arlen LaVor, Fremon Earl, Dale J., Myrna, Erma, and Lois Ann.

Marion Alonzo born October 16, 1908 married Melda Deleeuw September 30, 1935 and is the father of six children, five living and one dead, Boyd, Evelyn, girl not named dead, Albert Neil, Marion J., Gladys.
Marjorie born June 27, 1918 is married to Hearold Erickson June 2, 1937 and is the mother of three children, two living and one dead, Hearold Sheril (dead), Merlin ElRoy and Ronald Kay.

Fremon Antone born October 27, 1920 married to Ethel Hopkins July 11, 1946 and is the father of four boys Fremon ElRoy, Samuel Lee, Paul Eugene, and Darwin Antone.

Donna Jane born December 14, 1924 married to Reed Torgerson Lindsey and is the mother of four children, two living and two dead. The first baby died at birth. The second one lived long enough to be named Stephen. The two living are Sheldon Reed and Marylin (Marlyn).
My mother died September 11, 1935 leaving us all at home but LaVor and he was married. Being the oldest I had to take the responsibility of the home, father and younger brothers and sisters. I would have been much harder if it hadn't been for good neighbors such as Annie Oyler, Clive Mathis, Jennie Taylor, Thelma Blackburn, Ada Taylor bringing my mother a quart of buttermilk every time she churned. Lola Anderson and Mollie and Doc. Blackwood also helped. Dr. Eddie Brinkerhoff of Bicknell did a lot for mother. She often would say he looked just like an angel.

When my mother was so terrible sick I will never forget the kindness of my aunts. Aunt Gergia would take her to Idaho, Aunt Annie Mansfield would take her to Bingham, and Aunt Treana would take her into her home, each hoping that the change would make her feel better.

One time when LaVor brought her from Bingham in February the roads were slick and it stormed all the way home. When LaVor carried her in her home and set her in her rocking chair, she looked up at him and smiled and said, 'With all the slick roads you were the best driver in the world. You never made one bobble.'

LaVor trucking to Richfield had the responsibility of bringing her medicine each week. The medicine was very expensive and nasty. After she died we found bottles of it hid around the house, because she couldn't bring herself to take it.

My father died four years later on August 10, 1939 of a heart attact(k). LaVor and his two little boys Arlen and Earl found him dead. LaVor was taking the two boys to stay with him as the next day he was going to Salina to take a D.U.P. float for their home coming, but he never got to go.

All of us were married except Anthone and Donna. Anthone lived with May and LaVor and Donna lived with Aunt Treana.